Dear HA Community,
Welcome to the 2020-2021 school year. While this is a year unlike any we've seen before, we remain committed to the safety and well-being of your children, and are here to provide academic, social, and emotional support. You and your family may be experiencing a number of conflicting feelings with the beginning of the school year. We at HA are here to support you in this unique and potentially stressful time.
A few tips on providing support to your children:
- Continue to listen to their thoughts and worries - give them space to express a full range of emotions, and don't try to rush in and "fix" their concerns
- Maintain routines and consistent schedules (with bedtimes, mealtimes, etc.)
- Include physical exercise in their daily routines
- Include safe opportunities for connection with families and friends
- Limit access to news and social media
- Remind them that we have learned ways to help keep ourselves and others safe (wearing masks, washing hands, physical distancing, etc). This can increase kids' sense of control over themselves and the situation, and diminish feelings of powerlessness.
As always, please reach out at any point if you have questions or concerns regarding your children. The best way to reach me is via email, at email@example.com. As a school community, we are here to support you in whatever way we can.
Be well, and take care of yourselves and each other.
Emma Baber, LCSW