Middle School Science Teacher
About Harlem Academy:
Harlem Academy is an independent school (grades K through 8) that drives equity of opportunity for promising students, guiding them to thrive at the highest academic levels and one day make a mark on the world. Please peruse our website for more information about our school culture, family partnership, new campus, strong results – and everything else that makes Harlem Academy uniquely positioned in the New York City education landscape.Responsibilities:
Our incoming middle school science teacher must possess outstanding skills for maximizing learning and a commitment to helping nurture a school that rivals the best private schools in New York City. The middle school science teacher has the following core responsibilities:
- Teach sixth through eighth grade science with areas of focus that include earth science, human biology, and applied science, developing students’ understanding and application of the scientific method and the real-world work of scientists.
- Write and execute rigorous, engaging, culturally relevant, and developmentally appropriate lesson plans that challenge all students, including advanced students already performing 1 to 2 years above grade level, and meet core learning goals.
- Collaborate with our partners at the Black Rock Forest Consortium to extend the overall curriculum and with visiting professionals that support our human body systems unit.
- Use evaluation and a data-driven understanding of your students to drive decisions.
- Manage routines and environments to ensure safety, academic performance, holistic growth, and a warm and inviting classroom culture that reinforces our school creed.
- Advise a group of middle school students and lead arts and/or sports electives.
- Build genuine relationships with families in formal and informal written correspondence, meetings, volunteer opportunities, and overall collaboration.
- Reflect on and improve professional practices with mission-focus, depth, and honesty.
- Collaborate with colleagues in innovative program development, coaching, and publication of articles on best practices using a thoughtful, team-oriented approach.
Harlem Academy offers professional development opportunities, benefits, 10 weeks of paid vacation, and salary scaled to experience and demonstrated skills starting at $60,000.
Applicants should email a cover letter and resume to Eric James, Middle School Director, at email@example.com (Attn: Middle School Science). The cover letter should be no more than two pages and describe your capacity for contribution. This position starts late August 2023.
Equal Opportunity Employer:
Harlem Academy does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, age, gender, national origin or ancestry, veteran's status, sexual orientation, or any non-job related physical or mental disability. We welcome candidates who will contribute to our diversity and strongly encourage applicants from traditionally marginalized groups.