Development and Communications Associate
Reporting to the communications director, the development and communications associate will work with the development team on execution of the communications, annual giving, and donor cultivation strategies for the year.
About Harlem Academy:
Harlem Academy drives equity of opportunity for promising students, guiding them to thrive at the highest academic levels and one day make a mark on the world. Harlem Academy fills a unique gap in the education reform landscape as the only independent school in Manhattan serving promising, low-income students in grades K-8, propelling them to the top echelons of academic performance and then supporting them on the path to and through college and into careers. The school has been recognized as an innovative model, sharing best practices in education journals, reaching more than 350,000 readers.COMMUNICATIONS
Reporting to the communications director, the development and communications associate will work with the development team on execution of the communications, annual giving, and donor cultivation strategies for the year. As a member of the team, you will partner in the overall departmental responsibility to surpass fiscal year goals, manage external relationships, and deepen donors’ connection to the school. Responsibilities include:
- Design, schedule, and send constituent eblasts
- Maintain communications calendar and track analytics
Maintain a fresh and engaging website (post stories, videos, photographs, and other updates throughout the year; develop campaign and other pages; and troubleshoot as
- Coordinate social media (attend most school events; interview students and staff as relevant; plan, draft, and post content; track analytics; handle audience engagement)
- Serve as liaison to freelance photographer; photograph and video school activities; manage photo and video files
- Update external communications and track external mentions
- Write occasional blog posts
- Complete design projects as needed
- Support donor mailings, including segmenting for direct mail appeals and in-house
- Research individual and foundation prospects
- Occasional data entry in Raiser’s Edge
- Develop and print event collateral
- Participate as a key member of the team in preparation for and at all events
- Bachelor’s degree and 2-3 years of development, communications, marketing, or related experience
- Graphic design (Adobe Creative Cloud) and photography skills preferred
- Raiser’s Edge experience preferred
- Website and email marketing experience (basic HTML, Blackbaud, MailChimp)
- Fluency in social media
- Strong attention to detail and proven ability to manage deadlines
- Self-motivated team player with a high sense of urgency and ability to handle multiple projects at once
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Have an understanding of and passion for Harlem Academy’s mission
Harlem Academy offers a challenging and supportive work environment, leadership and professional growth opportunities, health benefits, 27 vacation days per year plus holidays, and an annual salary ranging from $45,000 - $50,000 depending on experience. Applications for this position will be accepted on a rolling basis. The position is hybrid, with occasional work outside of regular hours.
HOW TO APPLY
Applicants are asked to submit a cover letter and resume to Angela Ebron at firstname.lastname@example.org (subject line: Development and Communications Associate). Cover letters should be no more than one page and should describe your capacity for contribution to specific areas of responsibility.
Harlem Academy does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, religion, creed, age, gender, national origin or ancestry, veteran’s status, sexual orientation, or any non-job related physical or mental disability. Furthermore, we value and respect all types of diversity and strongly encourage applicants from traditionally marginalized groups to apply.